Truman Online

State Authorization and Policies

Not every college or university can offer online classes in every state. Online education is a consumer good, and individual states may have regulations that are more or less stringent than those of other states or the federal government. If interested in an online class, students outside Missouri should take these rules into consideration.

SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement), currently underway, permits colleges and universities to register through a “portal agency” in their home state.  In turn, they are authorized to offer online courses in other states that are part of the SARA compact.

Where is Truman Approved to Operate Online Courses?

Truman is authorized to serve students everywhere except for those in California and the Northern Marianas.  Click here for a map of SARA-Participating Institution Directory.

Programs that make students eligible for possible professional licensure may also have limitations based on the rules of the licensing board in a student’s home state or territory.

Learn more about professional licensure

Reporting and Resolving Complaints

Complaint Resolution

Our hope is that every student who participates in a course or program of study at Truman has a positive learning experience.  Nonetheless, we realize that sometimes student concerns rise to a level that requires additional attention from the University.

Whenever possible, before making a complaint, the student should attempt to reach a solution by beginning their discussions with a faculty member, followed by the department chair, as needed.  It is also helpful to review existing Truman appeal policies to determine your approach to a problem:

If you are unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, online students enrolled through a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) who have a concern or wish to file a complaint for violation of a published policy may do so by completing and submitting an online complaint form.  The complaint form can be found at  You must be logged onto the Truman network or enter through TruView to file a complaint through this system.  The system will create a ticket to help record and monitor progress toward resolving your complaint. Complaints will be addressed promptly and fairly.

Students who believe they have been discriminated against based on protected status, or subjected to sexual harassment or sexual violence, may report the incident to the Institutional Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator in person at Violette Hall 1308, by telephone (660) 785-4354, by email to or electronically submit at  The institution’s non-discrimination policy can be viewed at and the complaint procedure is located at

Grade appeals and student conduct code sanctions may not be appealed beyond the institution level.  All other concerns and complaints may be appealed by contacting the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development at (573) 751-2361 and selecting Option #2 for information on filing a formal complaint against the University.

Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development

301 W. High Street, Suite 840
Jefferson City, MO 65101

Students residing outside Missouri can file a complaint in their home state by contacting the appropriate state portal agency.  Individual state contact information can be used by students to reach out to their portal agency.

A list of SARA participating institutions and participating states and territories is regularly updated at

If you live in California (not in SARA), you can file a complaint per the policies on the website below:

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center

1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
Telephone: (833) 942-1120